Saturday 8 June 2013

Word of the Day!

While doing my TechTask on mobile learning I stumbled across a great app for my iPhone called Word A Day. There are several versions of this app, but I chose the free one. Each day the app gives you a new word and its definition. It also has an audio feature where it says the word for you so that you know the correct pronunciation and uses the word in a sentence as well. Today's word is uxorious, which means to be excessively devoted or submissive to ones wife.

While this is not something that I would ask my students to download I think that it is a great app! In my English class this fall I am going to use this app to have a word of the day written on the board. I am hoping that this will promote student inquiry and spark their curiosity with the different words as well as expand their vocabulary, and my own as well! Right now the only thing I am still unsure of is if it would be more beneficial to include a definition with my word of the day, or if the students will be curious and ambitious enough to find the definition on their own?

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Even what you could do is have the word of the day and make a routine so that when the students come in the see the word of the day and their task is to find the definition and write it down in a "Word Journal." This could be a great task (depending on the grade of course) to do while even doing attendance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a word journal! This could be a great idea to incorporate into the grade 9 English class I will be teaching during my internship this fall!

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea! I love the idea of having a word of the day in the classroom. It is something that you could learn about together and have within your ELA class or even just in your daily routine. I wonder if they have a version for younger students? Something that I would like to incorporate into my classroom is a word dictionary that has words that the students do not know and look up when they do not know how to spell it. I think this might be something that could be helpful as well. These words could be added to the work dictionary as new words for the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not come across something like this for younger students, but as I will be interning in a high school I have not looked either, but I am sure there is something out there! I also really like the idea of the world dictionary, I find that writing things down always helps me remember things better, so hopefully this would be the case for the students with the worlds that they do not know how to spell.

      Delete